Entomology (Study of Bugs)/bug

I'm curious I want to know what this bug is. Besides dead. I got up last night and saw this 'thing' that looked for all the world like a cockroach. Only it didn't move as fast as roaches normally do. I still get the willies when I think about it. I hate bugs with a passion. I live in Fl because they have so many more services for the disabled. I'm new to Fl although we did live in Ga for a while where I was "introduced" to roaches. Sorry I was too scared to get a pic and I don't want to look it up. Its bad enough having to remember the ugly thing.

With all due respect, without an image, or at least a far more detailed description, I cannot identify the insect for you.  There are literally thousands of potential suspects.  Florida has many native roach species that are *not* pests.  There are also many beetle species than can be mistaken for cockroaches by the casual observer.  Most of these nocturnal insects blunder into houses by mistake in the course of their wanderings, or are attracted to lights at night.

A good website to use is:

but then, you said you didn't want to look it up.  

Attitude is everything in my business, and I cannot help folks who don't want my help, can't furnish enough details, etc.  I'm sorry.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for AllExperts.com, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.