Entomology (Study of Bugs)/found a beetle

bacon beetle?
bacon beetle?  
it was in my trashcan.. i helped it out and took some pictures.. i held a probe against it lightly and it didn't click.. i put it in a container for now cause it's too cold in meriden, connecticut. i looked up yellow and black beetles and found a pic identical to the bug i have. but the odd thing is ; on wikipedia it say it's a bacon beetle and bacon beetles only exist in the palearctic ecozone. which is over seas. it says these bugs eat anything; which makes sense why it would be in the trash bin. i put a tiny peace of balonga, cheese and carrot and ran clear across the container to the balonga and started eating.. no, i'm not gunna keep it.. but i would like to know what on earth this bug is? is is possible  their's a bacon beetle look alike in america or is it really a bacon beetle?

Hi, Feenie:

Thanks for including the nice clear picture with your question.  No mistaking the "Larder Beetle," Dermestes lardarius .  I recently wrote a blog post about it:

Congrats on doing your homework, too, before coming here.  The Bacon Beetle is a close relative of this species.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for AllExperts.com, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.