Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Grain Mites

Question
We think we have grain mites in our kitchen -- or some type of mites.  They are extremely small -- smaller than the head of a pin and we've found them on hard surfaces near the floor (not near food) but attracted to water. We've found them on the tops of distilled water gallon jugs, on the tops (and under the lids) of 5 gallon purified water jugs and possibly some in our bird's water dish.  They've also been found (1 or 2 at a time) on our iPhone and iPad screens -- sometimes near the kitchen and sometimes in the adjacent living room.

We would like help in knowing how best to get rid of these and how to prevent them from coming back.  We appreciate your help and expertise with this request.  Thank you.

Krista

Answer
Krista,

I think these are likely grain mites, also called mold mites (see http://www.livingwithbugs.com/mold_mites.html for what they do). They are usually associated with moisture/mold or even a water leak so check for leaks first. Otherwise, the best control is to find the source of moisture and eliminate it. The mites will go away when the area is dry.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis