Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Identification Help - Alleged "Japanese Ant"

Question
Japanese Ant 1
Japanese Ant 1  

Japanese Ant 2
Japanese Ant 2  
Hello and good afternoon!

I'm from Indonesia and I need a help identifying an alleged "japanese ant" (it's written in in Indonesian as "Semut Jepang"), as posted on this thread:

http://kask.us/hduiX
For convenience, I will also attach one of the image.

I'm not an expert in biology (although I have a bachelor in Biotechnology), but I am pretty sure that is a beetle.

The huge problem is this: my father is very convinced that these are "young ants", although I tried to explain that all young ants are larvae. He intended to raise the bug and consume them due to an allegation that these bug can reduce cholesterol level, stabilize sugar blood level, uric acid, blood pressure, and even cure heart disease.

So, before my father end up in ER, I need a confirmation about this bug.

Thank you in advance!

Answer
Dear Perseonn - These are indeed beetles, they are in the family Tenebrionidae darkling beetles. This is a very large and diverse family with thousands of species, I hesitate to attempt a specific identification as I am not an expert in this particular group. That aside, they do look like some members of the genus Tribolium - see http://tinyurl.com/koyo97d for an example.

Hope this helps,
Saugy

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad