Entomology (Study of Bugs)/mounds in yard

Question
I read your response on mole crickets to the person in SC, however it does not appear as if they, mole crickets, can fly.. I have the same infestation here in NJ and it appears that they are being made by some sort of flying ant. As there are hundreds of flying insects that are coming out of these small mounds..

Thanks,

Tim

Answer
Tim,

You're correct, mole crickets (see http://www.livingwithbugs.com/mole_cricket.html for picture) do not fly and are much larger than what you describe. Ant mounds do release hundreds of winged ants (called reproductives) at certain times of the year. Generally these flights pose no threat unless they occur indoors which would indicate a nest in the structure.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis