Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Stung by a Parasitic wasp larvae I believe

Question
Parasitic Wasp larvae
Parasitic Wasp larvae  

Photo 2
Photo 2  
I was working in my garden 4/1/2014, actually collecting grubs for my Bluebirds and digging. I picked up a grub and what I thought was a young grub without the developed face and placed them both in my left hand (no gloves) and continued digging. Suddenly I experienced a deep pain that ran up my arm and I could tell it started at my finger.  I obviously threw down the worms, regained my composure from the pain and picked up odd worm with shovel in order to photograph it while calling my husband as well. I wasn't sure if I'd have an adverse reaction and wanted him to be aware of what happened. My finger swelled and continues to feel the pain however I believe it is getting better after 4 days. It hurts to run water over it when washing my hands but I think this is due to the droplets stimulating the area I was stung in. The area turned white when it happened, swelled as I mentioned on my left index finger.  Should I be concerned?  I didn't visit the doctor but instead did lots of research online but finding a photo of this worm has proven difficult. Even harder is learning whether I should be concerned about the sting as I couldn't find that info either. Here is the photo and by the way, the pointed end moved forward so I assume that is the head. If you believe the larvae isn't capable of stinging me that I must assume it was a spider but the timing was specific to me handling the worm.

Answer
Kolette:

Thank you for including the images with your question.

What you have there is a fly larva, either of a mydas fly (family Mydidae) or a robber fly (family Asilidae).  In both cases, larvae are predatory, especially on scarab beetle grubs.  So, finding this one in the company of grubs is no surprise.

The larvae do have enzymes, and perhaps some kind of venom, that they inject into victims to paralyze them and begin the digestive process.  That can't feel good to someone they bite in self-defense!

I would love to have you e-mail me these images, as I could use them in a blog post.  Larvae of these kinds of flies are very seldom seen, but your pictures are detailed enough to leave no doubt as to what they are.  Further, I could then post the images to places where an expert on robber flies and mydas flies could tell me (and you) which this is.  

Please e-mail me at:  BugEric24ATyahoo.com

Thanks, get well soon!

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton