Entomology (Study of Bugs)/same thing in my refrigerator

from the refrigerator
from the refrigerator  

with tip of pen
with tip of pen  
I have the same similar problem as the previous poster, but I DO have pics of mine. Seems these hearty bugs can withstand extreme cold temps because I find them in the refrigerator AND the freezer. When a maintenance man from our apartments came to fix the thermostat, he had to warm the coils. In that process, he chipped away at ice frozen on the inside back end of top freezer and in that ice were many of these bugs. I didn't get that picture, but since he fixed the thermostat, they have been returning. I didn't know this was possible. I never heard of bugs surviving in a freezer and refrigerator! I didn't have a ruler to show with the bugs so I took one pic with the tip of a thin marker, the size of a writing pen.

Dear Claudine -  Unfortunately, I cannot see any identifiable details in your images (one vaguely resembles a small fly pupa). Although there are indeed some insects that can be active at temperatures near freezing (certain collembolans, some scorpionflies and stoneflies, and grylloblattids), none of these would be expected to be found indoors except as rare accidental intruders. Also, there are a few than can withstand being frozen, but they definitely would not be active! I can only suggest that you place some of these in a small container and take them to your county office of the University of Georgia's Cooperative Extension Service (see for contact information) and see if anyone there can be of assistance in identification. Extension service offices usually are a good resource when dealing with most home/yard/garden pest problems.

Hope this helps,

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad

Will accept most questions in general entomology, including those related to medical entomology, taxonomy, ecology, arthropod surveillance, and pest management. If you are requesting a 'mystery bug' identification, PLEASE either attach an image to your question, or post an image on a web page (such as Flickr) so that I can look at it, as verbal descriptions frequently are insufficient for a definitive identification.

21 years in the U.S. Army as a medical entomologist; duties varied from surveillance of pest populations (including mosquitoes, cockroaches, ticks, and stored products pests) to conducting research on mosquito-virus ecological relationships and mosquito faunal studies. Ten years as a civilian analyst for the Department of Defense, primarily on distribution of vector-borne diseases worldwide. Limited experience on surveillance of agricultural insects in North Dakota and Indiana.

Entomological Society of America, West Virginia Entomological Society, Society for Vector Ecology, National Speleological Society, West Virginia Association for Cave Studies.

American Journal of Public Health, Contributions of the American Entomological Institute, Japanese Journal of Sanitary Zoology, Journal of Economic Entomology, Mosquito News, and Mosquito Systematics.

B.S. in entomology from North Dakota State University in 1963, M.S. in entomology from Purdue University in 1967.