Entomology (Study of Bugs)/yet another bug.

Random bug
Random bug  
Hey Sir Eaton,

I was walking outside and sat for a while. then i looked down and spotted this on my sneaker. i know you said bugs are attracted to light. but i never knew they were attracted to sneaker. lol pleas tell me the name of this one and maybe an explanation for it's sneaker obsession.

i tried to e-mail you; but i got mailer demon. so if you would be kind enough. pleas e-mail me at xkitsuniex at aol dot com. i think we can talk about your offer a little bit. thanks again for your time and knowledge.

The insect is some kind of stonefly, order Plecoptera.  I don't know much about them other than they are aquatic as nymphs, living under stones in flowing water.  I doubt it was attracted to your shoe, just landed there randomly.

Nice choice in footwear, by the way.  I like New Balance, too.

I have to reply to questions through this site, not by e-mail.  Sorry.  Please try me again at:

replacing AT with @ and DOT with "." of course.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for AllExperts.com, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.