Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Identification

Question
brown spider
brown spider  
Hello,

I am shopping around for answers to an age old question I've had since childhood.  There is a large brown spider that lives in my area and I'm assuming most CA.  I am unable to find it anywhere on the internet.  I am curious what it is called and its venom level.  I have never been bit by one (thankfully) but they grow to at least a quarter size!  

Thanks for your time.

Answer
Chris,

Color patterns alone are not very reliable for spider ids. Accurate ids usually require microscopic examination. So, short of sending a specimen to a university like UC Davis your best option (since this is a good photo) may be to submit the photo to bugguide.net along with some location data (more specific than just CA). Someone there may be able to make a good guess.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis