Entomology (Study of Bugs)/What light attracts insects?

Hello I wonder if you can help me.  We are a small UK based toy company and we are developing an insect viewing toy.  We want to include LEDs and UV LEDs to attract insects into the viewer but so far we have had little success in doing this.  We wonder if there is a specific frequency of light that attracts insects.  Might you be able to advise us?   Thank you.  Rosanne

Hi Rosanne
First of all keep in mind that not all insects are attracted to light. Those that are do not detect the larger wave lengths but the shorter wavelengths at the Uv end of the spectrum ( wave lengths between 400-100 nanometers. I cannot answer way you UV LEDs do not work. What types of bugs are you working with?

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Walter Hintz

I can answer any questions about insects and spiders.

I have taught science for over 57 years. I am presently teaching biology at the college level. I have done extensive graduate work in entomology.

Momentum Magazine The Ohio Journal of Science

B.S. In Ed Kent State Unuv M.Sc The Ohio State Univ National Science Foundation Fellowships: Electron Microscopy Univ of California Entomology Kent State Univ