Entomology (Study of Bugs)/What light attracts insects?

Question
Hello I wonder if you can help me.  We are a small UK based toy company and we are developing an insect viewing toy.  We want to include LEDs and UV LEDs to attract insects into the viewer but so far we have had little success in doing this.  We wonder if there is a specific frequency of light that attracts insects.  Might you be able to advise us?   Thank you.  Rosanne

Answer
Hi Rosanne
First of all keep in mind that not all insects are attracted to light. Those that are do not detect the larger wave lengths but the shorter wavelengths at the Uv end of the spectrum ( wave lengths between 400-100 nanometers. I cannot answer way you UV LEDs do not work. What types of bugs are you working with?

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Walter Hintz