Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Rare Bug

This bug that I have seen was the first and only one I ever seen. It was a small bug,about an inch and a half to two inches, and it only crawled. It was at on a sidewalk in a rural community of a small population about 50 miles north of Austin . It was about 3:00pm or so in the spring time. It had two body segments which were the same size. The two were connected right in the middle. It was mostly red with yellow, black, and white markings. It almost looked like it had a head on each end even though you could tell the true head. I have always wondered what it was because I had never seen another one like it or any other types of bugs similar to it. Thank you for reading this!

Without at least a clear image of what you are describing, I cannot be of help.  There are many, many colorful insects that fit your description.  You might want to simply browse this website:

or click on "search," without typing anything into the box, then clicking on "advanced search," and filling in the boxes for Texas, whatever county it was, and enter "Insecta" into the taxon box (wait for the drop-down to show "Insecta," and click on it).

Sorry, but there are literally thousands of possibilities for your mystery critter.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for AllExperts.com, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.