Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Spider

Same spider
Same spider  
Hey! Found this spider in the shower (or rather, it found me). At first I kinda jumped because I thought it was a violin spider but then I caught it and... not so sure now. It was rather aggressive, catching it was tricky, and it had big fangs. I'm not sure if I imagined it, but I think it also smelled very strongly.
I released it of course.

I hope you can help me identify it :D

Dear J. - This is a giant crab/huntsman spider (family Sparassidae) in the genus Olios; it looks like Olios argelasius - see http://tinyurl.com/m2tp8o4 for an example. These spiders are not dangerous or aggressive to humans, but they are capable if inflicting a painful bite if handled carelessly.

Hope this helps,

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad

Will accept most questions in general entomology, including those related to medical entomology, taxonomy, ecology, arthropod surveillance, and pest management. If you are requesting a 'mystery bug' identification, PLEASE either attach an image to your question, or post an image on a web page (such as Flickr) so that I can look at it, as verbal descriptions frequently are insufficient for a definitive identification.

21 years in the U.S. Army as a medical entomologist; duties varied from surveillance of pest populations (including mosquitoes, cockroaches, ticks, and stored products pests) to conducting research on mosquito-virus ecological relationships and mosquito faunal studies. Ten years as a civilian analyst for the Department of Defense, primarily on distribution of vector-borne diseases worldwide. Limited experience on surveillance of agricultural insects in North Dakota and Indiana.

Entomological Society of America, West Virginia Entomological Society, Society for Vector Ecology, National Speleological Society, West Virginia Association for Cave Studies.

American Journal of Public Health, Contributions of the American Entomological Institute, Japanese Journal of Sanitary Zoology, Journal of Economic Entomology, Mosquito News, and Mosquito Systematics.

B.S. in entomology from North Dakota State University in 1963, M.S. in entomology from Purdue University in 1967.