Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Spider Identification

I found this spider in my apartment and was hoping you'd be able to help me identify it. Thanks!

Hi, Amanda:

Hard to tell for certain from the images, but I would bet this is probably a "False Black Widow," Steatoda grossa , family Theridiidae (cobweb weavers).  More here:

The markings vary from individual specimen to individual specimen, and as the spider ages the markings get more faint.  Males wander in search of mates and can turn up almost anywhere.

This is a very common "indoor spider" in the Pacific Northwest.

Hope this helps!

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for AllExperts.com, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.