Entomology (Study of Bugs)/spiders

Is there a natural remedy to keeping spiders from getting into my home(i.e. vinegar or the like)? I keep finding spiders crawling in and around my house. I do live in a wooded area but I am concerned since the last spider I killed was a brown recluse.

Thanks for your help.

Spiders are predators, so there is no effective "repellent" for them.  You can only do your best to exclude them from entering your home.  Check out this article for tips on how to do so:

and here's one on how to safely remove spiders back to the outdoors:

Lastly, brown recluse spiders (Loxosceles reclusa )are not found naturally in New York, so I very much doubt you found one in your home, unless you moved recently from an area where they *do* occur:

The website Spiders.us is one of the few websites you can trust for accurate information about spiders.  Hope this helps.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for AllExperts.com, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.