Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Strange light over the Red River in Fannin County TX

Question
I have grown up in the country and spent a lot of time outdoors. I don't believe in UFOs, ghosts, or mythical cretures. Six of us were having a bonfire on the Red river probably around midnight. There was drinking involved but I was driving and was not impared whatsoever.  The only source of light was the fire within approximately 1800 yards. One of the girls noticed a blue blinking light and swore it was a UFO. I seemed to be very small and about thirty yards above the river. It blinked much more often than a lightning bug and was obviously the wrong color. It would fade away and get brighter. I flashed it with a spotlight a few times and it would get closer and then eventually continue it's course which I thought was following the river bed. We tried to video it but iPhones are capable of that type of recording. It never was directly over us so I couldn't tell the exact distance although some of the people thought it was much further away.  The only thing I could come up with was a bugs wings reflecting off of the fire. Once it would change directions or get out of range we would lose sight if it as it became parallel to us it would brighten or seem closer. The only thing is the spotlight didn't seem to have the same affect. Is there a type of bug that could create such an affect?

Answer
Hi Tony
I do not know of any insect that this could represent. I am sure there is a logical explanation for it. I do not believe in aliens until I see one. Of course it was an unidentified flying object (UFO) since no one could identify it.  UFOs once identified become IFOs

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Walter Hintz