Entomology (Study of Bugs)/tiny bug on animal...

I have been adopted by a young squirrel,, he is very friendly and apparently been hand raised since very tiny and is not afraid of humans, they must have turned him loose and well he found me, he seems to have these little bugs on him. they are about 1/16th of an inch long and very thin and are of a reddish/brown color... they don't look like mites or fleas or ticks and I would like to rid the animal of them. I fear that he can not survive in the wild now thanks to some fools good intentions...can you tell me what these bugs are and is there any thing I can use to kill them without harming him? I cant get a picture of one.  Thanks

I can't tell from your description what these might be. However, if the squirrel is tame enough to handle you might be able to give it a flea shampoo as you would a dog or cat. This will probably kill any of the ectoparasites. If you can get a photo I'd be glad to take a look at it.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis

I can answer questions in any area of entomology (study of insects, spiders, mites, ticks, and other terrestrial arthropods). Contact me about home and garden insects, insects that bite and sting, and insects that damage homes such as carpenter ants and termites.

20 years as university extension entomologist, now retired; currently publish a website about home and garden insects.

see www.livingwithbugs.com/resume.html

Ph.D. in Entomology