Entomology (Study of Bugs)/It's me again and I a bit more to decipher

victim or portraiture?
victim or portraiture?  

UFB- unidentified flying Bug
UFB- unidentified flyi  
Hey Sir Eaton,

Welcome back. I finally have some time to write in this late hour. But lets see; i think i'll start off with saying it was during the day and i was outside gardening. I got bit; i know i got bit and it stung a little more painful then a mosquito bite. i looked on my arm and found this red winged insect near the bite. i don't know if this was the suspect or not; but i happen to have set some bugs loose out their and i caught it in the tube. sadly; it died. but in all luck i was able to open the delicate wings with out totally obliterating them and take a decent pic of the reddish tint. ( the first picture )

with that being said; that night yet another insect came flying into my lamp on my desk and so it was caught too along with the enormous one inch clicking beetle i found in the bathroom that too. ( of course is the second picture. )

what ever bit or stung me; it still itches a little after two days. i'm not so much worried though; it seems to be going away. especially sense i washed the bites with soap and water and then peroxide. guess it serves me right for digging in the dirt, eh? lol

i only want to know what these are named. i have a few more i'll probably just continue to ask. but i think 2 at a time is good. plus; i would need the e-mail or blog to explain each i don't think 65,000 characters is enough for my extensiveness.

As always; thank you for your time and knowledge. I look forward to answers.

The first image depicts a "toe-winged beetle," genus Ptylodactyla , family Ptylodactylidae.  They do *not* bite, so something else got you.  Here's more on the beetle:

The second image shows some kind of ground beetle, family Carabidae.  This is a huge family, most members of which look like this.  They are mostly predatory on other small insects, but a few feed on seeds of grain crops.

Get well soon!

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.