Entomology (Study of Bugs)/I was bitten by an insect in Dallas Texas.

Insect bite
Insect bite  
I felt light headed after the bite but wasn't sure if it was me being nervous or if this is a dangerous insect. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you... We live in a heavily treed area of Dallas Texas. Tail is tucked in pic. No swelling at bite site just feeling anxious after.

Dear Julie - This insect definitely is not dangerous to humans, but it is a holy terror for aphids, small caterpillars and other soft-bodied insects! It is a larva of a lacewing (Neuroptera: Chrysopidae); both the larvae and adults are predators on small insects, and thus usually considered beneficial. They have needle-like 'jaws' that they use to pierce their victims and suck out their body contents. See and for more detailed information.  For some unexplained (to me, anyway) reason, they often will 'sample' human skin should they encounter it during their wanderings (see

Hope this helps,

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad

Will accept most questions in general entomology, including those related to medical entomology, taxonomy, ecology, arthropod surveillance, and pest management. If you are requesting a 'mystery bug' identification, PLEASE either attach an image to your question, or post an image on a web page (such as Flickr) so that I can look at it, as verbal descriptions frequently are insufficient for a definitive identification.

21 years in the U.S. Army as a medical entomologist; duties varied from surveillance of pest populations (including mosquitoes, cockroaches, ticks, and stored products pests) to conducting research on mosquito-virus ecological relationships and mosquito faunal studies. Ten years as a civilian analyst for the Department of Defense, primarily on distribution of vector-borne diseases worldwide. Limited experience on surveillance of agricultural insects in North Dakota and Indiana.

Entomological Society of America, West Virginia Entomological Society, Society for Vector Ecology, National Speleological Society, West Virginia Association for Cave Studies.

American Journal of Public Health, Contributions of the American Entomological Institute, Japanese Journal of Sanitary Zoology, Journal of Economic Entomology, Mosquito News, and Mosquito Systematics.

B.S. in entomology from North Dakota State University in 1963, M.S. in entomology from Purdue University in 1967.