Entomology (Study of Bugs)/What is this Bug

Wasp-Like Bug
Wasp-Like Bug  

Second Bug on Mattress
Second Bug on Mattress  
Found crawling on my mattress; about 1 mm (?). I've been getting bitten -- could this be the source?

Der Susan - The first image is that of a plant bug of some sort (possibly in the family Miridae), and would be very unlikely to be the source of your bite symptoms. However, I cannot see any details in your second image that would allow me to even begin an attempt at identification. Unfortunately, it is nearly impossible to determine the cause of 'mystery bites' without actually catching seeing something in the act of biting.

Hope this helps,

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad

Will accept most questions in general entomology, including those related to medical entomology, taxonomy, ecology, arthropod surveillance, and pest management. If you are requesting a 'mystery bug' identification, PLEASE either attach an image to your question, or post an image on a web page (such as Flickr) so that I can look at it, as verbal descriptions frequently are insufficient for a definitive identification.

21 years in the U.S. Army as a medical entomologist; duties varied from surveillance of pest populations (including mosquitoes, cockroaches, ticks, and stored products pests) to conducting research on mosquito-virus ecological relationships and mosquito faunal studies. Ten years as a civilian analyst for the Department of Defense, primarily on distribution of vector-borne diseases worldwide. Limited experience on surveillance of agricultural insects in North Dakota and Indiana.

Entomological Society of America, West Virginia Entomological Society, Society for Vector Ecology, National Speleological Society, West Virginia Association for Cave Studies.

American Journal of Public Health, Contributions of the American Entomological Institute, Japanese Journal of Sanitary Zoology, Journal of Economic Entomology, Mosquito News, and Mosquito Systematics.

B.S. in entomology from North Dakota State University in 1963, M.S. in entomology from Purdue University in 1967.