Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Caring for an injured Rustic Sphinx Moth

Question
Sphinx Moth 1
Sphinx Moth 1  

Sphinx Moth 2
Sphinx Moth 2  
Dear Saugy,

I woke up to find what I think is a Rustic Sphinx Moth fluttering around on my front lawn this morning.

I think it's a female judging from the size of her abdomen and the fact that the antennae are smooth. She was having a very hard time flying, and it looks like one of her wings is folded in. I'm not sure what caused the injury but I'm guessing it was the heavy rains last night.

What I'd like to ask you is if there's any way of caring for this moth until it can fly away on its own power. If this moth is indeed female and there's a chance I can at least get her to lay eggs and raise them, even better.

Answer
Dear Patrick - About the only thing I can suggest is ti make weak sugar solution (~1:10 sugar to water), soak a cotton ball in the solution, and offer that to the moth. This may not work, as these moths usually get their nectar from flowers having relatively long tubular corollas, such as moon flowers and petunias. The site http://tinyurl.com/kn6dxkw deals primarily with butterflies, but you still might find it useful.
Good luck, and hope this helps,
Saugy

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad