Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Caterpillar ID

Question
Unknown caterpillar
Unknown caterpillar  
QUESTION: Can you help me identify this caterpillar? And how I can care for it? I found it in my garage, and I live on the east end of Long Island, NY.

ANSWER: Dear Orena - From the looks of it, this caterpillar probably  is beyond saving. Also, although the body doesn't look quite right, the head appears remarkably similar to that of a gypsy moth caterpillar (http://tinyurl.com/kmzagee), which is not a species you would want to save.

Hope this helps,
Saugy

QUESTION: Oh ok, and isn't it just forming a pupa? and if it is a Gypsy Moth caterpillar, then I know what to do with them. :) Thanks for your help!

ANSWER: Dear Orena - From what I can see, it looks seriously ill. Do you have any other images of it that you could post?
Sincerely,
Saugy

QUESTION: Well I have a video...is it because the pupa is crooked? What are the indications of illness?

Answer
Dear Orena - Unfortunately, I am at present having a great deal of difficulty viewing videos on my computer. The main reason I believe that your caterpillar is ill is the flaccid and hairless appearance of its body in your image. It does not look to me like any normal progression to pupation.

Hope this helps,
saugy

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad