Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Centipede

Digging in flower bed near Kerrville, Texas and found a big yellow bodied centipede with lime green feet. Beautiful, actually. Didn't want to smush it so put it in alcohol hoping to preserve the color. It didn't. Just want to know if you have ever heard of one that color. Wish I had taken a picture!!

Dear Sherry - Are you absolutely 100% certain that what you saw was a centipede? I have never seen a specimen with that color combination, but then that alone doesn't mean it couldn't occur. The usual case with large centipedes is to have their body darker than the legs - see http://tinyurl.com/k2y53sn for an example. All I can suggest is that should you encounter another example, p;ease try to get a picture of it - I would love to see it!

Sorry not to be of more assistance,

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad

Will accept most questions in general entomology, including those related to medical entomology, taxonomy, ecology, arthropod surveillance, and pest management. If you are requesting a 'mystery bug' identification, PLEASE either attach an image to your question, or post an image on a web page (such as Flickr) so that I can look at it, as verbal descriptions frequently are insufficient for a definitive identification.

21 years in the U.S. Army as a medical entomologist; duties varied from surveillance of pest populations (including mosquitoes, cockroaches, ticks, and stored products pests) to conducting research on mosquito-virus ecological relationships and mosquito faunal studies. Ten years as a civilian analyst for the Department of Defense, primarily on distribution of vector-borne diseases worldwide. Limited experience on surveillance of agricultural insects in North Dakota and Indiana.

Entomological Society of America, West Virginia Entomological Society, Society for Vector Ecology, National Speleological Society, West Virginia Association for Cave Studies.

American Journal of Public Health, Contributions of the American Entomological Institute, Japanese Journal of Sanitary Zoology, Journal of Economic Entomology, Mosquito News, and Mosquito Systematics.

B.S. in entomology from North Dakota State University in 1963, M.S. in entomology from Purdue University in 1967.