Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Chikungunya

I have been hearing a lot about Chikungunya in the news lately and I am under the impression that this has yet to be acquired in the U.S. mainland, but has been found in U.S. citizens after returning from foreign destinations.  Due to all of the "hype" the media likes to surround scary diseases like this, I wanted to reach out and see if you would be able to provide me with an educated answer. There are many reports of it "headed for U.S." etc. but I'm not sure how true that is.

Is the spread of Chikungunya into the U.S. mosquito population possible, or likely?

Thank you!

Hi Samantha
Both species of mosquito that spread this disease are found in the eastern midwest, and southern states.  If People returning from the Caribbean who are infected are bitten by these mosquitos they could pass it on. At this time reaction to this has bee overblown

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Walter Hintz

I can answer any questions about insects and spiders.

I have taught science for over 57 years. I am presently teaching biology at the college level. I have done extensive graduate work in entomology.

Momentum Magazine The Ohio Journal of Science

B.S. In Ed Kent State Unuv M.Sc The Ohio State Univ National Science Foundation Fellowships: Electron Microscopy Univ of California Entomology Kent State Univ