Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Cool looking spider/caterpillar

Question
Spider?
Spider?  

strange caterpillar
strange caterpillar  
While on a walk the other day I came across these 2 that look cool. One is what looks like a spider black and yellow and 8 legs and it has a head smaller than it's back. It was on its web which was hovering over some plants and leaves in the woods. I seen more of the same spiders but I freaked most of them out by accident and scared them away. Luckily when I saw this guy I watched my step so he can stay in place for a photo. The other looks like a caterpillar black with a chain of orange shapes down its back and also looks like it has strange spikey pointy things. This was seen on a sidewalk. Can you give me details and specific names of these guys?

Answer
Dear Douglas The spider appears to be one of the sheet-web spiders in the family Linyphiidae -  see  http://tinyurl.com/lbt5kn5  for an example. This is a huge family with hundreds of species in the USA, and I would hesitate to attempt a more specific identification. The caterpillar is a mourning cloak, Nymphalis antiopa (Lepidoptera: Nymphalidae), see http://tinyurl.com/n2bkwqw for images and details on its life history.

Hope this helps,
Saugy

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad