Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Found this bug in my basement

Question
Bug image
Bug image  
Hello!

I just found this bug in my basement and now I am trying to figure out what it is, and if it's something I should be worried about. It's pretty creepy looking and has some massive pinchers!

I appreciate any help you can provide in identifying this bug!

Answer
Julie,

This is a ground beetle, probably Scarites vicinus or a closely related species. See http://bugguide.net/node/view/481415/bgimage for pictures. They are harmless but can pinch with those mandibles. BTW, these beetles feed on slugs so are beneficial in gardens and farms.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis