Entomology (Study of Bugs)/How can this happen

Three days ago I carried one of my straw baskets into my bedroom because I wanted to get a clothing item out of it. When I took all of the clothes out of it I saw a black spider that I thought was exiting the basket, however, I did not see it leave the basket but I also did not see it stay in the basket. It is a straw basket that is a weavable one, however, you can see in and out of the basket. I washed the basket, then I sprayed it with Raid.

I cannot find the spider anywhere? How can a spider just disappear?

Spiders are master escape artists because they have to escape their own predators.  I suspect the spider jumped off or dropped off the basket.  I've had plenty of spiders escape from me when I have tried to capture them, especially among thick grasses, cracks, etc.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for AllExperts.com, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.