Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Large insect in Oregon coastal home

Question
Side view
Side view  

Top view
Top view  
Location is Coos Bay Oregon. I've found two of these insects in my house in the past week, both having been discovered at night time after the sun has gone down. Dates being in June 16th and June 20th. The insect is quite large. The head and legs of it are black while the long wings go from a dark brown to a lighter brown. The insect were both found in window sills. Both insects looked identical. Both crawled, and attempt to fly but don't seem to make it very far, and when disturbed appear to make an audible hissing noise. Interested in finding out what type of bug this is and if I might have an infestation on my hands.

Thank you for your time,
Chris

Answer
Chris:

I am so-o-o jealous!  I lived in Oregon for the first 27 years of my life and not once did I see a live example of one of these beetles!  This is easily the largest insect you can find in the Pacific Northwest.

It is known as the "Ponderous Borer," Trichocnemis spiculatus (formerly Ergates spiculatus ).  Here's more:

http://bugguide.net/node/view/74268

They are sometimes attracted to lights at night, so don't be surprised if a few more turn up.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton