Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Little little tiny red bugs.

There are these little little tiny red bugs even smaller than aphids that I am trying to figure out what they are.
Are they mites? I was sitting outside on a patio and saw a bunch of these on the concrete. They are bright bright red but so small that you can't seem them unless you are looking or accident see them. Kind of cool, They are small but seem to live around urban areas. These were around a bunch of spongy lichen covered dirt and rocks, if that helps. And I am in North Dakota in the summer if that helps.

Hi Mark
I have not seem these but from your description and where they are I am sure that these are red mites
Red mites are not biting mites

Although I have not seen these but from your description the sound like common spire mites From the Genus Tetanychus. Clover mites are larger and darker red and belong to the Bryobia. How did you come upp with clover mites

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Walter Hintz

I can answer any questions about insects and spiders.

I have taught science for over 57 years. I am presently teaching biology at the college level. I have done extensive graduate work in entomology.

Momentum Magazine The Ohio Journal of Science

B.S. In Ed Kent State Unuv M.Sc The Ohio State Univ National Science Foundation Fellowships: Electron Microscopy Univ of California Entomology Kent State Univ