Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Long black bug

Black bug
Black bug  
We have been inundated with a long black bug we have never seen before in our garage. It almost looks like some kind of centipede but it only has legs towards the front and none that I can see on the black. When you step on it brown ooze comes out of it. It does try to curl up when you touch it. It hides under rugs and mats. I have attached an image but it is moving too fast to get a clear photo.

Hi Toby
This is the larva of a beetle. Without seeing the mouth parts or antennae I believe it is a Soldier beetle. They ere related to fireflies but do not produce light. They should mature and leave the garage. They do not cause damage. The larvae prey of other insects

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Walter Hintz

I can answer any questions about insects and spiders.

I have taught science for over 57 years. I am presently teaching biology at the college level. I have done extensive graduate work in entomology.

Momentum Magazine The Ohio Journal of Science

B.S. In Ed Kent State Unuv M.Sc The Ohio State Univ National Science Foundation Fellowships: Electron Microscopy Univ of California Entomology Kent State Univ