Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Red spiders found in basement

Hello! I live in Illinois, and I had a sticky trap down in the basement and I just found a bunch of these red spiders on it. One of them looks like it was pregnant too. I am wondering if you can tell me what type of spider this is? My 7 year old daughter suffered some serious complications from a spider bite a couple of months ago, and now she has gotten additional bites on her arms, legs and face that have swelled up. I originally thought that they were mosquito bites and she was having an allergic reaction to them, but now I am concerned that these are also spider bites. Any help you can provide in figuring out what type of spider this is would be greatly appreciated!

No image was included with your question, and I cannot even conclude whether they really *were* spiders unless I have a visual reference.

I caution making assumptions that your daughter was bitten by a spider, or even an insect.  Many, many other lesions resemble "bites" but are symptoms of something else.  Even the medical professionals are often too quick to classify wounds as "bites."

I'm sorry I cannot be more helpful.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.