Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Small black bug found on bed today

Question
img1
img1  

img2
img2  
This morning I found a small black bug sitting motionless on top of a blanket that was folded on my bed. I put it in a small plastic container and observed it to be shiny black, looks a little like a beetle, and unfolds wings but hasn't flown (maybe it is exhausted I'm not sure).

I hope very much that it is unrelated but last night while sitting on my bed I got a few itchy spots, very small red bumps that I thought look like mosquito bites. Would this bug possibly be one that likes to bite? It is the only one I found.

Answer
Dear Patty - This is indeed a small beetle, and thus almost surely would not be responsible for any of your bite symptoms. I cannot tell for certain from your images, but it might be a black carpet beetle or a relative. Be on the lookout for slender larvae having a bristly 'tail' as in this image: http://tinyurl.com/lrslnk6
 If you find any, see http://tinyurl.com/3jwyyt9 for some control recommendations.

Hope this helps,
Saugy

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad