Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Spider Identification

Dead Spider
Dead Spider  
My family and I are moving into an older house in Millbrook, AL. When we did the initial walkthrough, we saw the exterminators had been there and there were dead bugs throughtout the house. Not an issue, but then we saw two of these dead spiders in the guest bathroom, the one that our two boys, both under 2, will be using. Is this a cause for concern? I'm pretty sure they're not brown recluses (I understand they are common in the area), but I am a little worried that they might be harmful to our boys and/or inhabiting the house in some secluded corner. Any help you can give on this would be very much appreciated. I'm not saying my wife is freaking out, but she is beside herself with worry.

Hi Juan
It is true that the recluse is native to Alabama. The danger of this spider ha been greatly overblown however. The bite rarely causes any complications and in fact the bite itself is uncommon. I cannot tell you that the dead spiders in the brown recluse but it does not look like it. It would be unusual for them to found in a bathroom as they are usually hiding in dark areas and closets. Tell your boys not to pick up any spiders and to tell you if they see one. Tell your wife not to worry about spiders.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Walter Hintz

I can answer any questions about insects and spiders.

I have taught science for over 57 years. I am presently teaching biology at the college level. I have done extensive graduate work in entomology.

Momentum Magazine The Ohio Journal of Science

B.S. In Ed Kent State Unuv M.Sc The Ohio State Univ National Science Foundation Fellowships: Electron Microscopy Univ of California Entomology Kent State Univ