Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Spider Identification

Question
Spider Identification-Fresno-CA
Spider Identification-  
I appreciate any answers you can give.  I live in Fresno, CA. We have 2/3 of an acre, with lots of trees and a creek that runs behind our house.  I have found one black-widow in our house before.  However, the spider in the image I have attached was found in my garage today.  My little brother has made my garage a semi-apartment for himself.  This spider was walking across his carpet this morning.  In the image is a 50 cent piece laying next to the spider.

If you could identify it.  I understand that from an image it is hard to identify, especially coloring.  In spite of that, I hope you will be able to tell me some information about it.  For example, that was a very old spider, and that is rare to have them that large, lol.  Unlike yourself, an entomologist, with an obviously love of spiders, I cannot say the same for myself! :)

I am just concerned that there may be more hiding, and would like a heads-up, so to speak, about expecting this big guy's relatives to come out and play.

Answer
Michelle:

This is a wolf spider.  They are very common and are active hunters at night.  They frequently find themselves indoors by accident.

Wolf spiders are not considered a dangerous spider like a black widow, but these spiders will bite defensively.  They would rather run away.

Fully grown wolf spiders can grow (legs and all) to the size of an average human's palm or just a little larger.

For more information, do a search for wolf spider.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Nathan Riggs