Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Strange bugs

Mystery bug
Mystery bug  
I keep finding thes bugs in my bathroom and bedroom. I'm scared they are baby roaches but I can't tell. I've put out a million roach motels and still seeing them. They are small blackish with long antennaea and some have a single white stripe on ther back vertical. My picture is blurry but it's the only one I have so far.. Please help if possible! Thank you!!

Dear Sarah - The image you provided resembles a very young nymph of the smokybrown cockroach. Although sticky traps such as "Roach Motels" are useful for monitoring cockroach populations, they are not an effective control measure. You may find some useful information in the publication at http://tinyurl.com/lhgtuo9 and you also might try contacting your local office of South Carolina's Cooperative Extension Service for advice (see http://tinyurl.com/m2lnsxz for contact information). Extension Service offices usually are a good source for assistance when dealing with most home/yard/garden pest problems.

Hope this helps,

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad

Will accept most questions in general entomology, including those related to medical entomology, taxonomy, ecology, arthropod surveillance, and pest management. If you are requesting a 'mystery bug' identification, PLEASE either attach an image to your question, or post an image on a web page (such as Flickr) so that I can look at it, as verbal descriptions frequently are insufficient for a definitive identification.

21 years in the U.S. Army as a medical entomologist; duties varied from surveillance of pest populations (including mosquitoes, cockroaches, ticks, and stored products pests) to conducting research on mosquito-virus ecological relationships and mosquito faunal studies. Ten years as a civilian analyst for the Department of Defense, primarily on distribution of vector-borne diseases worldwide. Limited experience on surveillance of agricultural insects in North Dakota and Indiana.

Entomological Society of America, West Virginia Entomological Society, Society for Vector Ecology, National Speleological Society, West Virginia Association for Cave Studies.

American Journal of Public Health, Contributions of the American Entomological Institute, Japanese Journal of Sanitary Zoology, Journal of Economic Entomology, Mosquito News, and Mosquito Systematics.

B.S. in entomology from North Dakota State University in 1963, M.S. in entomology from Purdue University in 1967.