Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Tiny bugs an annoyance

Question
Tiny dark bug
Tiny dark bug  

another pic of bug
another pic of bug  
Hi Eric
We live in a first floor apartment in southern New Jersey - but not near the ocean. There were no pets in this apartment before we moved in (3 years ago)and we don't have any pets. There is wall to wall carpeting over a concrete floor. We have been having problems with tiny, dark, very fast flying bugs that have been a nuisance since we moved in. We have not treated them with chemicals because I have respiratory problems. They are impossible to catch.

They seem to be more active in daylight hours and are primarily attracted to food and light. As soon as food is opened, they appear immediately. We also find them floating in our sweetened hot coffee and they find their way onto the rim of our dinner dishes as we eat.

We've also noticed a few in our bathroom sinks and on the floor but not as much. I set vinegar traps thinking they were drain flies but they are not attracted to it. It seems they are also attracted to the light of my ipad, iphone and computer screen as soon as I turn them on. They are mostly in our kitchen area but in the evening they dart at our faces when the light from the tv is on.
I've cleaned, steamed and have gone through every nook and cranny and they are still around. I can only catch them by spraying them with Windex or placing saran wrap over them on the kitchen counter.
I've enclosed a photo of them and hope you can identify what they are.

Thanks so much

Answer
Marie:

The images appear to depict "scuttle flies," family Phoridae.  Here's more about them:

http://bugeric.blogspot.com/2011/01/scuttle-flies.html

and

http://www.publichealth.lacounty.gov/eh/docs/Specialized/Vector_Management/phori

and

http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/insects/find/phorid-flies/

I hope that the above links will help you conquer your problem.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton