Entomology (Study of Bugs)/unknown insect

unknown insect
unknown insect  

unknown 2
unknown 2  
Hello,  recently  (june) I found these smallish (less than half an inch) light brown insects in my garage in Massachusetts.  I found them in the middle of the day on a black bag and some up in the rafters.  They crawled and did not fly.  I was hoping you could identify them for me, and inform me if they are a pest.  Thank you for any help,  

They appear to be some kind of beetle, but there is not enough detail in the images to reach a concrete conclusion.

I would take intact specimens to a local entomologist at a university, natural history museum, state department of agriculture office, or even the public health department (vector control will have at least one staff entomologist).  He or she can then put them under a microscope and offer a verifiable identification.

Many insects cannot be identified from images alone, even clear, detailed pictures.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for AllExperts.com, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.