Entomology (Study of Bugs)/unknown insect

Question
unknown 1
unknown 1  

unknown 2
unknown 2  
Hello,  recently I have been finding the insects in the attached picture.  I have found them in a detached Garage and in the garden here in Massachusetts.  They are about half an inch or less and brown/reddish in color.  My wife is worried they may be cockroaches.  Any help in identification would be much appreciated.  Thank you very much,
Doug

Answer
Dear Doug - This is indeed a cockroach; it appears to be Ectobius pallidus, known as the spotted Mediterranean cockroach (their wings have many tiny, dark spots that can be seen only with the aid of a hand lens); it first was reported from Massachusetts in 1948. This species appears to be more of an outdoor species than an indoor pest(http://tinyurl.com/metqqwt), but reportedly can become a nuisance when attracted to dwellings by lights. You might try contacting your nearest office of Amherst University's Cooperative Extension Service for further advice - see http://tinyurl.com/okphkeq for locations and contact information.

Hope this helps,
Saugy

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad