Entomology (Study of Bugs)/I've never seen one before.

Question
Bug
Bug  
Hi! I was up at Ouimet Canyon (It's in north Canada) And I found this little guy on a sign, I'd never seen one like this before and was curious to what it was. It had like, and hourglass on it's back. I was wondering if you could identify it? I only saw it crawl but that doesn't mean it can't jump or fly huh? XD either way I thought quick enough and took a picture of the little guy. I attached the picture!

Answer
Hi, Jessica:

This is a shield bug in the family Acanthosomatidae, genus Elasmostethus .  Don't know which of the two species it is, sorry.  Here's more:

http://bugguide.net/node/view/14007

Females of insects guard their eggs and newly-hatched babies.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton