Entomology (Study of Bugs)/weird beetle

Question
QUESTION: sorry but my phone will not take clear photos... last night while sleeping I awoke to a bug in my ear! it was a small beetle. it is obling, brown/reddish with black on its head and black spot like marking on its body. (2 on each side) I have searched online for 3 hours and can not find anything like it. you can see its lines/grooves down its body (across the body underneath) any idea?

ANSWER: Misty,

There are lots of beetles that would fit this description. However, unless it came from outside it is most likely one of the species that infest stored food such as carpet beetles (see http://www.livingwithbugs.com/carpet_beetle.html for pictures). All of these beetles are harmless to people.

Jack DeAngelis

QUESTION: it doesnt look like a carpet beetle... I will try to get a clear photo later. We only found one and moved the couch and chair today to sweep. hopeing it is from outside and not carpet beetles! it looks as though it has a black face? and almosy like a black diamond sorta shape down the head then 2 circles on each side and almost a v or w shape toward its butt. from what i saw, carpet beetles are more roundish, this is oblong. it is skinny.

Answer
Ok, if you can get a picture I'd be glad to take a look at it. There are several species of beetles that infest stored food, some are longer and thinner than others. You might want to google "carpet beetles" or "stored product beetles" and look at the images.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis