Entomology (Study of Bugs)/weird wasp like fly

weird bug
weird bug  
Caught this guy, he came into the house from the dark outside, weather has been very warm today. 30 degree, I've never seen anything like this before, with an upward curved horntail. He doesn't buzz like a wasp. Zurich, Switzerland.

Dear Hannan,

The image you have sent is that of a fly commonly called Crane Fly, in the superfamily Tipuloidea order Diptera. Unfortunately I am not familiar with the family-level diversity in NZ.

They do not possess a stinger and are completely harmless. The up-turned abdomen and the pointy end is actually the reproductive organ. I will advise you to contact a local entomologist who can identify this fly further to species level.

I hope this helps.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Aniruddha Dhamorikar

I will answer general identification questions about insects and spiders ONLY from India. I cannot guarantee specific identification (of species), but I will try my best! If I do not have the answer, I will get back to you on the right answer as soon as possible.

I have been studying fauna of Indian for several years, as a hobby as well as academically.

B.Sc. Zoology M.Sc. Environmental Science M.E.S.