Entomology (Study of Bugs)/ants

Hi,  I am wondering what ants do when they've accidently left the colony.  For example,  If I was at the bus stop and an ant crawled onto my backpack and now the ant is miles away from home. MILES.  What does it do?

Hi Samantha,

Thanks for the question. Ants are pretty good at finding their way home, so I wouldn't worry too much. However, if it cannot find its way home, it will not survive long. Worker ants cannot start their own colonies and they cannot join other ant colonies.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jessica Mellinger

I can answer questions about invertebrates native to California, including insects commonly found in homes. If you have an identification request, please attach a photo to your question.

I was involved in collection and identification of invertebrates for the United States Geological Survey, Biological Resources Division for six years. Also, I provided these same services intermittently for the UC Davis John Muir Institute of the Environment for many years. I have been a member of AllExperts.com since 2009.

Department of the Interior: United States Geological Survey, Davis Field Station; University of California, Davis Aggie Alumni Association; UC Davis Center for Neuroscience; U.S. Department of Veteran's Affairs

I have two B.A.'s from the University of California, Davis and two Associate's degrees from Sacramento City College.

Special Thanks for Achieving Results award from the Department of the Interior