Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Biting insect

Question
Insect
Insect  
I've been bit 3 separate times by this little guy now. It burns like crazy for a few seconds when he bites and then 24 hours later I get a small red bump. The bump inches intensely, keeping me up at night at times and lasts for several days before going away. What is this and how is avoided? No one else in my family seems to be getting bit. Thank you!  (We live in Missouri if that's helpful)

Answer
Amie,

Looks like an antlion (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antlion). They can bite but don't normally unless handled. They live in the soil and make "sand-traps" to catch insects like ants. See the wikipedia page for more info.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis