Entomology (Study of Bugs)/bug identity.

mystery bug close up
mystery bug close up  

mystery bug secondary
mystery bug secondary  
Hello and greetings. I am enclosing the photo if a bug I discovered  biting my inner leg. It its small so please pardon the image if it is not extremely high quality. The colors are what appears dark brown and stand and clear perhaps some yellow tint. The bug left a small puncture wound. I just want to ensure I don't need to be concerned about the bite. Thank you for your time.

Dear Ashley - First off, please let me apologize for the delay in responding to your question; I was away from home from Thursday through yesterday evening, and forgot to put myself on 'Vacation' status. That aside, what you have here is completely harmless - it is a leaf beetle (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae) in the subfamily Cassidinae (tortoise beetles); it appears to be a clavate tortoise beetle (Plagiometriona clavata) - see http://tinyurl.com/2emdkpo for an image. They feed primarily on plants in the family Solanaceae (potatoes, peppers, eggplant, etc.) - see http://tinyurl.com/lazcqk7 for morre detailed information.

Hope this helps,

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad

Will accept most questions in general entomology, including those related to medical entomology, taxonomy, ecology, arthropod surveillance, and pest management. If you are requesting a 'mystery bug' identification, PLEASE either attach an image to your question, or post an image on a web page (such as Flickr) so that I can look at it, as verbal descriptions frequently are insufficient for a definitive identification.

21 years in the U.S. Army as a medical entomologist; duties varied from surveillance of pest populations (including mosquitoes, cockroaches, ticks, and stored products pests) to conducting research on mosquito-virus ecological relationships and mosquito faunal studies. Ten years as a civilian analyst for the Department of Defense, primarily on distribution of vector-borne diseases worldwide. Limited experience on surveillance of agricultural insects in North Dakota and Indiana.

Entomological Society of America, West Virginia Entomological Society, Society for Vector Ecology, National Speleological Society, West Virginia Association for Cave Studies.

American Journal of Public Health, Contributions of the American Entomological Institute, Japanese Journal of Sanitary Zoology, Journal of Economic Entomology, Mosquito News, and Mosquito Systematics.

B.S. in entomology from North Dakota State University in 1963, M.S. in entomology from Purdue University in 1967.