Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Caterpillar I'd?

Question
Caterpillar
Caterpillar  
This was photographed in Blowing Rock, NC. Found on the leaf pictured. Just wondered what kind it is. I couldn't find it in any field guides I had.
Photo attached.
Thank you

Answer
Hi, Rhonda:

I am not very good with caterpillars, but I can tell you this is *not* a caterpillar.  It is the larva of a sawfly, a type of (stingless) wasp.  Host plant is always helpful with those when you want an ID.

Wish I could be still more helpful, but you have a start now, at least :-) I would look at the families Cimbicidae and Tenthredinidae for possible candidates.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton