Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Insect Bite

Question
24hr later
24hr later  
QUESTION: Hello Ed, this is a "what bit me question".  It started out with a 3-puncture-wound welt then morphed into this lovely heart-shaped pustule 24 hrs later.  I went to my Family Dr but he didn't know what to do with it. He's treating me with topical neosporin and oral Cipro antibiotic.  If I need to seek further medical attention I'd like to know. What an impressive and interesting career you've had Ed. What a privilege for the internet-public to have access to this pool of knowledge.

Thanks, Diane SLC, UT

ANSWER: Dear Diane - Did you actually witness/feel something bite or sting you? From your image, I would have guessed it more likely to be contact dermatitis of some kind. In any case, I would simply advise watching it, and see your physician should it appear to become markedly worse. As I am not a doctor, I cannot dispense any medical advice.

Sincerely,
Saugy

QUESTION: Yes, I did feel it but did not see the lil culprit.  I understand about dispensing med advice, I'm simply trying to glean from your knowledge base it's identity and whether or not it is a threat to health. Thank you for your kind and prompt response.

Answer
Dear Diane - My reason for asking was because it is extremely difficult at best to determine what caused an arthropod bite/sting without actually seeing/capturing the culprit in the act. If an arthropod was involved in your case, I would suspect contact with the hairs of a stinging/urticating caterpillar. Given the circumstances under which you experienced the initial pain, would that have been at all possible?
Sincerely,
Saugy

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad