Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Leafhopper ID

Question
Insect
Insect  
Hi, Ed,
I was pruning my roses today and came across a very brightly-colored insect. After some Googling, I can't  Identify it. I'm attaching a picture so you can see what it looks like. I saw it at around 2:30 in the afternoon, and I live in southern NJ, a few miles away from the ocean.
Thanks,
Jonathan

Answer
Dear Jonathan - This is a type of leafhopper (Hemiptera/Auchenorrhyncha: Cicadellidae) known as a sharpshooter (subfamily Cicadellinae). It looks to me more like a member of the genus Oncometopia than anything else (see http://tinyurl.com/pvotffv for an example), but there are species in other genera (such as Cuerna) that can be very similar - see http://tinyurl.com/nslzvnq for an example. They all are sap feeders, and some species can vector plant diseases as well.

Hope this helps,
Saugy

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad