Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Mystery bug

I have a customer who reported small bugs on her comforter. Her dog sleeps on the bed and I thought maybe he has brought them inside. They are very small,black,rounded without wings and have a white spot on their abdomen. Clubbed antennae  and a shinny slick body. I could not see any distinctive hairs. This insect is smaller than a flea.

Hi Jim

I am sure these are beetles and most beetles make up the most species of the insects so Without seeing one of these all I can do is narrow it down. Since they were on materials I suspect they were dermestid beetles possibly pantry pests that got into the kitchen. She should check all opened d dried foods in her cupboards. Were there a large number of them and can you send me a photo?

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Walter Hintz

I can answer any questions about insects and spiders.

I have taught science for over 57 years. I am presently teaching biology at the college level. I have done extensive graduate work in entomology.

Momentum Magazine The Ohio Journal of Science

B.S. In Ed Kent State Unuv M.Sc The Ohio State Univ National Science Foundation Fellowships: Electron Microscopy Univ of California Entomology Kent State Univ