Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Orange beetle

Question
bug in kitchen
bug in kitchen  

bug in kitchen 2
bug in kitchen 2  
I live in Dallas Texas and a month or so ago I found a dead orange beetle - like bug near my sofa. I have since then cleaned all areas by and on my sofa. Just today I saw that same type of bug crawling on my kitchen floor. It was moving slow. Looks like a beetle. It's orange and has a black head. Was wondering if you could identify this? Do they bite or cause harm? I live in an apartment with 2 small dogs.

Answer
Hi!  This is a species of scarab beetle...a smaller cousin to the June bug. They live outdoors, but are attracted to lights at night. They will fly through an open door to reach lights.

These beetles are completely harmless and only indoors by accident.  

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Nathan Riggs