Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Orange beetle

bug in kitchen
bug in kitchen  

bug in kitchen 2
bug in kitchen 2  
I live in Dallas Texas and a month or so ago I found a dead orange beetle - like bug near my sofa. I have since then cleaned all areas by and on my sofa. Just today I saw that same type of bug crawling on my kitchen floor. It was moving slow. Looks like a beetle. It's orange and has a black head. Was wondering if you could identify this? Do they bite or cause harm? I live in an apartment with 2 small dogs.

Hi!  This is a species of scarab beetle...a smaller cousin to the June bug. They live outdoors, but are attracted to lights at night. They will fly through an open door to reach lights.

These beetles are completely harmless and only indoors by accident.  

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Nathan Riggs

I currently live in San Antonio, TX and have expertise in identifying insects, many types of spiders, and other arthropod critters that infest lawns, ornamentals, structures, trees, pets and livestock. Mites are not a strong point of mine. I'm not a licensed doctor, so I cannot provide medical diagnosis of conditions possibly related to insects or other arthropods. If you've got an interesting photo for me to see, attach it to your question, or let me know and I'll give you my email so the picture will get to me. If you have hosted an insect photo on a website, please include the link so I can go look at it and provide a faster ID for you. You may also join my group page on Facebook and post your picture at www.facebook.com/groups/antmans.hill/.

22+ years' experience as an entomologist: 5 years as a biologist with Merck Animal Health (I was part of the R&D team that worked to develop FrontLine flea and tick products) and 7 years as an Integrated Pest Management (IPM) Specialist in San Antonio, Texas with Texas Cooperative Extension.

Veterinary Parasitology, Southwestern Entomologist, San Antonio Express News, San Antonio Gardener Newsletter, Master Gardener SCION Newsletter, GardenStyleSA e-Newsletter

BS - Entomology from Texas A&M University in 1992.

Board Certified Entomologist, 1996-2000 - Medical and Veterinary Entomology Specialty (Entomological Society of America)

2000 Texas A&M University Vice Chancellor's Award in Excellence for leadership on the Texas Fire Ant Program Educational Team.