Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Question on Identification

Question
What is it?
What is it?  
I happened to catch this little guy, or little girl running around on my bed. My first thought is that it might be a bed bug, but with the markings on the back I thought it didn't look like anything I was able to find of pictures regarding bedbugs. Also, the segments don't look right for it to be a bedbug in my eyes. I have checked all of my room and bedding to see if there were any signs that I may have bedbugs, but have been unable to come up with much. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Answer
Hi Sean,

Thanks for the great photo!

You have a spined soldier bug (Podisus maculiventris) nymph. The adult will have wings that cover the pattern on its body and will have large spines on its shoulders. It is definitely not a bed bug and won’t bite you. It is predatory, which means it eats other insects, mainly larvae of other insects. Many of the insects these bugs eat are considered to be crop pests, so stick this guy or girl in your garden if you have one!

Best,
Jessica

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jessica Mellinger