Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Springtails along baseboards

Question
   Every year I notice springtails bugs in my house, probably because I don't like bugs in my house (who does) and notice them easily. Anyway, I was vacuuming around my baseboards today and noticed several throughout my lower floor around the baseboards (maybe 20 total throughout out the downstairs). I know they're usually due to environmental factors and we had some very very heavy rains a few days ago, so if they're just coming in and not sticking around fine but my fear is they're living in the baseboards, is that possible? Assuming we have no leaks, which I think I would notice could they survive in there? We had quite a few people at my house last night too so I thought maybe they hitched a ride in. Any advice you can offer would be very helpful."

Answer
Kristin,

I am making your question public because it is outstanding!  You demonstrate that you have done some homework even before approaching AllExperts.  Bravo :-)

You are correct, springtails are moisture-dependent and unlikely to stick around once conditions dry out beyond their ability to physically cope.  Unless you have mold growing in the baseboards, or tiny fragments of organic matter are collecting there, there is nothing for them to feed on, either.

So, bottom line is there is no cause for alarm.  I don't know where you live, but most places dry out substantially in the fall and winter, rendering insect live "invisible" until spring.

Take care and thank you for the great question!

Sincerely,

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton